From:
"Sweet, Michael S" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sweet, Michael S
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:15:29 -0500
> Whether messy, random or structured, does team formation really matter that much? Hmm?

I don't know of this was a serious question or tongue-in-cheek.  So, just to be safe, I see strategic team formation as fundamental/critical/crucial/serious/important/essential/key.

1)  You want all teams to have the resources they need to succeed.

2)  You want to avoid the stereotyping (positive or negative, self- or other) that can occur when teams are allowed to form homogenously, which they will because we are attracted to people who are like us.

3)  You want to avoid the coalitions that occur when teams are allowed to self-select (e.g., two friends choosing to be on the same team of five, thereby creating a "voting bloc" within that team and an insider/outsider dynamic that never allows the team to gel as a unit).

4)  You want students to learn the life lesson of coming to see people very different from them as allies, team-mates, and resources.

5)  You want to avoid the "leftovers" effect that occurs when self-selecting teams create a "last" team composed of people "no one else wanted."

Now, it is true that once they graduate, these students will most likely not find themselves in work teams that are so carefully balanced by the powers that be.  By the same token, they're not going to be taking a lot of multiple-choice tests, either.  The classroom is for learning, which requires scaffolding, tools and experiences that are necessarily unlike what folks encounter in real life.

-M