From:
Teresa Comey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Teresa Comey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 09:17:11 -0800
I used MBTI and Temperament assessments in my programs. I teach part-time in
a Project Management program at UBC where Temperament is used as part of
team development.  These assessments are designed to create understanding of
personality styles and preferences, rather than as a selection tool. The
developers of both these tools very seriously caution their use for anything
other than what the assessment was developed for.

That being said we have been very successful at UBC in using Temperament,
specifically Personality Dimensions in Canada (True Colors in US). I use it
during the team formation stage as an exercise in getting team members to
know each other and create understanding of their different approaches to
problem solving, conflict, communication, decision making etc. It has proven
to be a very valuable exercise and the assessment is very easy to
administer, however they require a licensed facilitator.  The teams fall
back on their learning throughout the program and use it to help understand
the sources and approaches to communication and conflict.

We have our teams create and sign a formal team agreement during the team
formation stage. Included in the team agreement is a leadership plan, a
definition of roles and responsibilities, a conflict management and
resolution plan, decision making plan and communication plan. The assignment
also includes a description of the personality profiles of the team members,
identifying the strengths and unique qualities of each member and a plan to
support the team members. These discussions have proven to be very rich for
our students.

Teresa Comey, M.A.
Influencing Leadership
Phone 604-929-7050 or Cell 604-760-7686