From:
Francis Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Francis Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:20:57 -0700
One (of several) rules of thumb when it comes to generating learning
goals that are useful to both students and instructors is that
"its all about the verbs".

In early parts of a course when material is factual and terminology must
be learned, consider asking students to do something with their new
facts. One of the more useful lists of verbs is at
http://cis.apsc.ubc.ca/wiki/index.php/Team-Based_Learning#
Click on "4.5 RAP Test Writing Support Materials", and find the link to
a Word document called "Deep Questioning and Bloom's Taxonomy"

As for good examples of learning goals themselves - see a guidelines
document developed by departments involved in the Science Education
Initiatives at UBC and the University of Colorado. The link is
"Learning Goals/Objectives Examples" on the page at
http://www.cwsei.ubc.ca/resources/instructor_guidance.htm
These are not business related, but perhaps will provide some
inspiration. Your students will love it if the early "dry" part of the
course is enlivened by making them learn terminology by actually doing
stuff.

Hope that helps - good luck.
Francis.