From:
Fritz Laux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fritz Laux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:38:22 -0500
Molly:

Here's my fundamental reaction to your fun idea about letting some students
opt out of TBL in a TBL class....   If the students who opt out do stay in
the same section of the class, then you are looking at big problems.  This
is because; if they were hostile or problematic within the team-based
framework, just imagine how problematic they'll be as folks who are
sidelined in team activities.

While teams are working together, they'll be causing problems.  Plus, it's
the intra-team peer pressure (and role-modeling) that works so well to keep
problematic students more inline.

It is a fun idea though.  I too have had some complainers.  I'm thinking
that a good deal of this comes from the increased student participation that
TBL requires.  The good news for me is that the ones I have not been able to
reach seem simply to have been bound and determined to find something to
complain about.  Cursed as I seem to be, one of these complainers is now our
undergrad statistics tutor who has her desk outside my door (where she
complains loudly about many and various things).

Now, if you could let all opt-outers form their own section of principles or
such, that'd be very nice.

Best,

Fritz Laux
Associate Professor of Economics