From:
Jenny Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jenny Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2014 08:16:01 +0000
Thanks for this and Chris Burns for the hot pepper exercise.  I run a workshop for those with no prior experience of TBL and have test questions based on one of your earlier summaries of TBL, Jim, which I send out a few days ahead.  Then I use an application activity based on sustainability related issues in health which works well.

The thing I don't do is to refer to the summing up as a mini lecture.  This is because our experience (and we are new to this) shows that students initially want lectures but we go to great lengths to explain why TBL does not use lectures.  I therefore refer to time for clarification after the team tests when we allow 5-10 minutes for discussion around areas where there is a lack of understanding (using team test results as the start point for this). Then at the end of the unit I show a slide that summarises what they should know at this stage linking the previous and subsequent units.

Hope this is useful - it works for us and gets away from 'lectures' as the basis for any element of what we do.

Best wishes

Jenny

Dr Jenny Morris
Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer) Health Studies
Faculty of Health & Human Sciences
Plymouth University
Knowledge Spa
Truro