From:
Lasserre Patricia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lasserre Patricia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:30:11 -0800
I also do the first TBL experience on the syllabus. To help with students
buy in, I also make them choose the weight of the various components of the
course (labs, TBL, final exam). Students are given a range of values for
each component weight that I would consider acceptable. Each team discuss
and determine the weights they would like to see applied for the class. All
team's decision are placed on the board for a class discussion. After
discussion, each team has the opportunity to re-discuss the weights and
modify the weights based on the class discussion. They report one last time
their team choice. The weights of each course components will be the average
of all the team choices.

Students tend to feel less intimidated and more in control by having chosen
the weights of the various components of the course and tend to be less
resistant to TBL. I am always satisfied by the choice they make (i.e. I make
sure the range of values I find comfortable for the weight would be
acceptable to me).

Hope this helps,

Pat