From:
Michael Sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:27:38 -0600
RE: Handling loud critics?Everyone,

I want to thank so many members of this list who have replied to my request
for information about their use of TBL for the first time.  I will be
writing this paper up in the next month or so and plan to post the finished
product back to the list around mid-May.  You have all given a great deal to
me, I am sincerely grateful, and I look forward to giving back.

In that vein, I received this good suggestion (particularly good for very
large classes) in response to my post about how folks handle loud critics:

"We used (and continue to use) a student liaison group to work with me
(course director).  Many times the students have given very good,
constructive criticism that helped make the method work well for that group
of students."  -Kathryn K. McMahon, Ph.D. Texas Tech University

Since TBL gives students so much more of a *voice* in how their classroom
experience unfolds, I would be grateful to hear about times when they used
that voice to *resist* TBL itself.

My paper is about the teacher's subjective/emotional experience of using
TBL, and moments of strong, public student resistence can be among the most
emotionally trying for some instructors.

Any anecdotes, tips or strategies you can share will greatly benefit my
project.

Thanks again.

-Michael