From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:46:09 -0500
Bill,

I'd do it as an application activity (graded or non-graded).  The great thing about current events is that it is hard NOT to have students view the activity as being a Significant Problem/issue. To get at the other three S's for example you might ask one of the following.
1) Which author/approach would most (or least) likely have predicted this current event.
2) Which of these current events (list several) provides the strongest evidence for (or against) the validity of (name a theory/approach that your students are familiar with).
3) What event in the last ______ provides the strongest evidence for (or against) the validity of (name a theory/approach that your students are familiar with) and let students identify the event.

Based on my experience any of the above would automatically hit 3 of the 4 S's (Significant Problem, Same Problem, Specific Choice) and, if you have them do a Simultaneous Report, you will have a great time and they will learn a lot.

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]> 08/24/10 11:39 PM >>>
I use TBL in two of my courses (economics) and have been quite pleased.
But, there is one thing I haven't really figured out how to incorporate --
current events. In these courses it is pretty important to read and
discuss events right as they occur, but how might I incorporate this into
TBL? If there is a story on tomorrow, I don't really want to wait until
the next RAP process; instead, I'd like to talk about it in the next
class. Plus, current topics rarely fit exactly into what we're currently
doing.

Ideas?

      - Bill

--