From:
Erica Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erica Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2011 07:27:42 -0800
Hi all,

I have an interesting situation and could use some advice from other IF-AT
users. I've been using TBL in large courses (18-20) teams for 4 years and
this is the first time I've noticed this.

I was looking over team grades and one team had the following IF-AT scores:
7,9,10,10,10 (RAT is out of 10 points). 10's before appeals are not super
common in my courses (most earn 8-9.5 before appeals) but I noticed is that
this team has very low iRAT scores - mostly in the 3-5 range. I looked at
the last two RATs and compared the iRAT answers from individuals to the team
choice and on both there were 2 questions where no individual picked the
answer the team went with. In many cases, several would (for example) pick
"C" but they would scratch "E" (correct). This seemed strange to me. I
pulled some other team's sheets and did not find this - that other teams
with high gRAT scores had 1 or 2 higher scores on the team and they had the
right answer on their iRAT sheets.

Does this seem fishy to anyone else? Or do you find that sometimes the team
"comes together" and develops a new path for the gRAT together?

Individuals on the team are low performing on exams/other assessments and
the midterm peer helper scores suggest a team with slacking issues (no one
earned above 90 on the PHS).

I'm also thinking of ways to combat issues like this next semester. I'm
thinking of have them submit a scratch-order grid thing (one to me - one to
keep for reference) before getting the IF-AT. Or have more proctors. Other
ideas?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Erica