From:
Richard Hake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:44:15 -0700
Some subscribers to TeamLearning-L might be interested in a recent
post "Scientifically-based Education Is Not an Oxymoron" [Hake
(2009a)].  The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: My post "Is Scientifically-based Education an Oxymoron?
Reply to Eubanks" of 14 July referenced David Berliner's essay
"Educational Research: The Hardest Science of All," written in
response to "Scientific Research in Education" [Shavelson et al.
(2002)]. Here I point to the response to Berliner by Feuer, Towne, &
Shavelson who wrote: "Our point is not that the physical, life, and
social sciences are equally hard or easy, but that GOOD SCIENCE,
WHETHER IN PHYSICS OR ECONOMICS OR EDUCATION, THRIVES ON A
COMBINATION OF GENERIC NORMS THAT APPLY TO ALL FIELDS and on
manifestations of those norms that are specific to each field." [My
CAPS.] As indicted in my post "Re: Scientific Method" of 15-16 July,
those norms are well expressed by Helen Quinn (2009) in her Physics
Today essay "What is science," and in no way support Gerald Bracey's
contention that "Scientifically-based Education Is an Oxymoron." Some
other valuable online references to scientific methods, consistent
with Quinn, are: Berkeley (2009), Denker (2003), Hake (2002), and
Woolf (2004).

To access the complete 13 kB post, please click on <http://tinyurl.com/nyrzs8>.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands.
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com/>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
A famous curmudgeon named Bracey,
Thought a science of ed was cracy,
        Each student's sentient
        And has her own penchant
So science won't work - prima facie.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
        Richard Hake (2009b)

REFERENCES [Tiny URL's courtesy <http://tinyurl.com/create.php>.]
Hake, R.R. 2009a. "Scientifically-based Education Is Not an
Oxymoron," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at
<http://tinyurl.com/nyrzs8>. Post of 16 Jul 2009   to AERA-L and
various other discussion lists.

Hake, R.R. 2009b. "Is Scientifically-based Education an Oxymoron?
Reply To Bracey," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at
<http://tinyurl.com/kmrse2>. Post of 11 Jul 2009 16:04:43-0700 to
AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract only was also transmitted to
various discussion lists.