From:
Steve Cayzer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cayzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2018 00:19:27 -0700
Hello TBL Community

This is my first post so I hope I follow etiquette. After a small pilot last year, I am now applying TBL to a class of 80 international MSc students on project management. One session in and going well so far.

My question is about inclusive access - for students with dyslexia but also non native English speakers. Both groups would appreciate help to understand the RAT questions. I am reluctant to extend the iRAT time, partly because that eats into the application activity and partly because many students are finished in 10-12 minutes. (from reading the lists, I know that one possibility is 'sponge' activities for such students, but in my case I think these would not be productive).

My current plan is to allow students (all students!) to come to class a few minutes early (ie 09:00ish for 09:15 start) if they want to study a paper version of the RAT questions in advance of the test beginning (closed book obviously). I also learnt that blue paper is sometimes better for dyslexia. The particular dyslexic student has no problem getting to class early so this would work for them.

I also got a great suggestion from Beck McCarter about using diagrams and other non textual elements in the RAT questions.

Does anyone have any thoughts, alternatives or their own experience to share

many thanks!

Steve Cayzer
University of Bath (UK)