From:
Christine Kuramoto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christine Kuramoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:24:20 +0900
Hi Everyone,
I have recently been awarded a 20 minute slot at the upcoming "Japan
Association of Medical English Educators" conference to present TBL.
Yes, 20 minutes. Yikes! Actually 15 minutes to present, 5 for questions.
Double Yikes!

My plan is to just give them a taste, then reel them in later when they
all hang around to congratulate me on the wonders of TBL :-D . I've
chosen to do a RAP with them. I'm going to whiz through breaking them
into groups, do the fastest powerpoint presentation in history on the
Readiness Assurance Process, give them a 5 problem iRAT, then do the
gRAT. They will all be so impressed that they will then ask me back to
be the keynote speaker next year where I can REALLY wow them with a full
out TBL presentation.

OK, OK, I know you're all rolling your eyes now, but let me just say . .
.I have a dream.

Now, advice time. I have no time to spare on having them do a reading
for the RAT (obviously). Also, I don't expect my short ppt explanation
of the RAP to provide enough fodder for a clear difference in the iRAT,
gRAT scores. Keep in mind, I want to WOW them, so it would be excellent
if I could make a point without having to spell it out. So, I'm thinking
of putting up on the screen one of those "find the differences" type of
pictures (show one picture, then another that is almost identical except
for tiny details). My hope is that individually they will only be able
to remember a few of the differences, but (surpise!) as a group they
will have noticed more differences.

So . . .What do you think?

Christine

PS I'd like to add that I'm a praying woman. O:-)

--
*******
Christine Kuramoto, Assistant Professor: Medical English