From:
Kathryn Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathryn Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:50:26 -0400
Karla,
We used the first day 4s activity that Larry sent around.  We did it for the first time this year and were a little worried that we would have all of the students focusing on a desire for facts, but they didn't and the whole activity went very well.  That was four weeks ago and the students are still with us -engaged and challenged-with a good understanding of why we are doing what we are doing.
Kathy

Kathryn H. Thompson, PhD, RD
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition
Director, Distance Education
College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of New England
11 Hills Beach Road
Biddeford, ME 04005
voice: 207-602-2216
fax: 207-602-5931
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>>> Jim Sibley <[log in to unmask]> 08/26/12 11:55 AM >>>
Hi Karla

A couple of things

Larry originally sent around a great first day 4s activity...which gets at the role of the teacher in the active classroom

http://www.teambasedlearning.org/Resources/Documents/1st-dayQ%20article.pdf

I sent around a fact density study a couple of weeks ago

The effect of lecture information density on medical student achievement

You can get it from the list serve archive
http://list.olt.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1208&L=TEAMLEARNING-L&T=0&O=A&P=11635

Or I can send on Monday (don't know how to send a pdf from my ipad)

It's a 4s first day activity

Jim Sibley

Sorry for brief message -sent from my iPad