From:
Mark Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:50:54 -0700
Hi all. I am using TBL for the first time this semester, in a graduate level
quantitative research methods course. I discovered TBL about 3 weeks before
the course began, so I did not have time to fully integrate all of the
exciting TBL components into the course. One thing that my course is
currently short on is graded team work. The only team work that “counts”
toward a student’s course grade is the set of team readiness assurance
tests, plus a small percentage for peer evaluation. I do have the teams
engage in problem-solving exercises that seem to be going well (i.e. energy
levels have been high, teams have worked very diligently, etc.), but the
students are not graded on this work.

I will be teaching a different course next semester and would like to
incorporate more graded team work into that course. I’m not sure, though,
what types of assignments I can/should give to the teams that would be
appropriate for grading. The exercises I’ve had teams work on thus far (that
are based on the 4-Ss of significant problem, same problem, specific choice,
and simultaneous report) don’t really seem appropriate for grading, though
maybe I’m wrong about that.

Can anyone out there provide me with some guidance as to what types of team
assignments are appropriate for grading, how many such assignments you
utilize per semester, etc.?

Thanks a lot,

Mark Stevens
Assistant Professor, School of Community & Regional Planning
University of British Columbia
223-1933 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2, Canada
http://www.scarp.ubc.ca/profiles/faculty/Mark%20Stevens