From:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2019 20:01:48 +0000
I have felt compelled to address this sort of problem just once.  I asked the student to meet with me outside of the class time and was straight forward about it.  I explained that some people need some quiet time to think through problems or questions before jumping into it with the team.  I suggested she try to let someone else start the discussion, making it clear her contributions are valuable but that others are clearly hesitant to talk but likely also have useful contributions to make. This was about 10 years ago, so I don’t remember all the details, but it made an immediate and positive difference in how the team functioned.  I recall following up with her to make sure she was okay with it and she acknowledged how it changed everyone’s interactions.

Molly Espey, Professor

John E. Walker Dept. of Economics

247 Sirrine

Clemson University