From:
Christine Kuramoto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:00:07 +0900
Hi Everyone,

After reading Dianne's concern about the sharing of questions between
different sections of the same class, I thought I'd offer an idea.

> Now students turn in an answer sheet for their iRAT (no access to scantron,
> but I'm working on it). They keep the question page to refer to for the tRAT.
> Unfortunately sometimes they don't turn in the question page. I have four
> sections of this course and use the same questions, but different IF-AT forms
> (different order of answer choices). My concern is sharing the questions with
> students from other classes. I've warned them that I will consider it academic
> dishonesty, but I know sometimes they just forget. In every case, they are
> able to pull it out of a folder or notebook, when they realize everyone else got
> their iRAT scores back but them.

I have stopped handing out test papers and instead do all of the
questions on ppt slides.  I think it's much easier to keep the questions
secure, since it's unlikely that a student would go to the trouble of
memorizing all of the questions to pass on to another group.  I believe
it was Dean Parmelee that shared with me how very careful they are about
keeping their MCQs secure at his institution.  You can then make a bank
of your questions and mix them up in years to come.

I would still do the IF-AT variation and mixing up of the order of the
questions with different sections.

Christine

--
*******
Christine Kuramoto, Assistant Professor: Medical English