From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:58:00 -0600
Don,

I'm including the same advice as an attachment in case you have
formatting problems with the e-mail itself.  Incidentally, if anyone
else is having the problems that Don has with all the stray characters
in the messages form the listserv, PLEASE LET US KNOW so we can get the
problem fixed.  I'm not at Oklahoma and have a horrible e-mail system
but don't have problems.

RATs with grad students in short-format classes?

I use RATs with grad students (and even in management development
workshops) and in condensed-format classes all of fhe time and get
virtually NO resistance.  Most of the time, students get the course
syllabus when they register including the explanation that they will be
tested over the first unit ON THE FIRST NIGHT OF CLASS.  In fact, the
only things that happens before the first RAT are the first 3
recommendations (below):
1) Spend some time explaining why you are using TBL (where the test are
primarily formative in nature), how it differs from traditional teaching
(i.e., where tests are almost exclusively used for summative
assessment--thus, multiple choice exams are NOT a sensible way to test)
and what they will get from "investing their time in doing the
pre-reading (e.g., IN-class team work, emphasis on applications, etc.).

2) Don't EVER call them quizzes--that's an automatic negative
association that you can easily avoid.  Use the term Readiness
Assessment Tests (good advice for ANY students) to remind them AND YOU
that their purpose is to assess whether or not they are ready to move on
to the important stuff (What they know is far less important than being
able to use it in meaningful ways.)
3) Let them set grade weights.  As a standard practice, I require at
least a 50% weight within the individual component to be on the final,
but will allow them to choose to put up to 100% on the final and 0% on
the individual RATs.  In 95% of the cases, they will put at least some
weight on the individual RATs based on their OWN realization that it
makes sense to have incentives for their members to prepare for class so
that they won't do poorly on the on the Team RATs.  In a handful of
cases, I've had them choose a 0% weight for the individual RATs, but it
doesn't matter.  They actually prepare just as well (based on the
scores).  Even if they don't "count,", you do need to give the
individual RATs, however, need to give the tests because of their
importance for insuring individual accountability, peer teaching and
building the teams.
4) Use the IF-AT answer sheets.  They will love them.  In fact, this
alone would probably be enough to drop the resistance to near nothing.

Larry

Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
Dockery 400G
Central Missouri State University
Warrensburg, MO 64093
O: 660 543-4124
F: 660 543-8465

Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
Dockery 400G
Central Missouri State University
Warrensburg, MO 64093
O: 660 543-4124
F: 660 543-8465

>>> "McCormick, Don" <[log in to unmask]> - 2/1/05 5:12 PM >>>
Hi All

I teach in a system where all courses are held once a week, from 6-10
in the
evening, and the classes are only 6 weeks long. Would you recommend 6
RATS
or fewer?

Also, I plan on giving these to Masters level students who don't
usually get
much in the way of multiple choice quizzes. They are generally resist
them
and regard them as inappropriate for graduate level work. They
associate
multiple choice with undergraduate work. Does anyone have any ideas
about
how to work with resistance like this?

Sincerely,

Don McCormick