From:
Janet Stamatel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Stamatel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2011 05:20:10 -0700
I use TBL in two undergraduate criminal justice courses of about 30 students
each.  I used forced ranking peer evaluations in the past and was happy with
the results.  It got students to think carefully about individual
contributions to the team, although they were uncomfortable doing so.  I
also allowed them to work as teams and to game the system because only the
high functioning teams could figure out how to do so.

However, this semester I have many students who have had me before, and
therefore know how to game the system already, so I changed the format of
the evaluations from last semester and also required them to work
individually on the evaluations.  Several teams cheated or tried to cheat to
distribute points evenly across all members.  I dealt with the cheating
issue and eventually got them to do the assignment individually, but this is
going to be a continual problem since I often have students for more than
one semester.  I've found this thread helpful as I'm trying to think of ways
around this problem that will not increase my grading time.  I like the idea
of evaluating the evaluations.