From:
Erica Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erica Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 06:50:55 -0800
Hi everyone,

I've been debating about how to handle a problem I've had with my students
and how they use their IF-AT forms. I would appreciate any insight more
seasoned users have on handling this situation. I use the A-E IF-AT cards,
but sometimes I only have A-C or A-D answers for questions on the gRAT. What
happens is that students will want to scratch D but they do E by mistake
since they just "go to the end" of the row since they want to scratch "the
last one." Other times they are not careful with their scratching (i.e.
scratch the row below instead). They then tell me about it in hopes that
they won't be penalized for the scratch.

How do others handle this? In the past I would allow appeals for these if
they could explain their case. This worked but I think some teams took
advantage of this system AND it adds a good amount of grading time (esp. if
it isn't easy to know it was a mistake). This term, I put in place a "no
mercy for accidents" and they are unhappy. I've given tips (i.e. look before
you scratch, use a paper to line up the row you are working on) but I've had
2 RATS and several teams complain.

I use a 1 -.5 -.25-0-0 point system on the gRAT. Any suggestions or words of
wisdom would be awesome.

Erica
Sociology
UAlbany