From:
"Bradetich, Judi" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bradetich, Judi
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2010 07:50:46 -0500
I don't completely understand the motivation behind cheating, and it is very disappointing to have so many students actually admit to it - or to knowing about it - you are not alone!
My immediate response to cheating is that it is really only hurting the cheaters themselves - it is between "them and God" - are the iRAT's graded heavily? Maybe changing the weight of the grading would help... and having a few non-group, non-clicker tests that are carefully monitored to ferret out the slackers...Ultimately, we want the students to learn, so if it helps them learn, maybe we need to think like Vygotsky, and be glad the students are helping each other out - even during a test (?)....
Judi Bradetich, M.S., M.M.
Lecturer, Development and Family Studies
Dept. of Educational Psychology
University of North Texas