From:
Cathleen Erwin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cathleen Erwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2015 20:37:26 +0000
Kristie,

I suggest using the Written Appeals process for challenges to questions -- if you are referring to the RAT questions. You may also incorporate something along the same lines with application exercise questions if you're using a multiple choice approach.  In the appeals process they can either challenge you on the correctness of the answer or on the ambiguity of the question. In each case they have to support their claims, and then you make a judgement call on whether or not to grant the appeal. This also gives you an opportunity to evaluate your material to determine if changes should be made for the next go around.  You can find more specific information on the written appeals process on the TBLC website and in Michaelson's and Sibley's books.

Second -- I would place a time limit and use a timer for my RATs and for most application exercises. I use one on my iPhone so that the students hear the alarm when time is up. I've determined reasonable amounts of time for each type of test or activity I use in class. You should allow ample time, but some students simply will use every available minute (and then some) given the opportunity. There is a happy medium somewhere in between your quickest and slowest team's or individual's completion times.

Cathleen

Cathleen O. Erwin, PhD | Assistant Professor, Health Administration

Department of Political Science

Auburn University

7080 Haley Center

Auburn, AL 36849