From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2010 08:24:13 -0500
Henrikka,

In my mind, what to do with the 1111 guesses because it "guarantees" a 25% correct in a non-issue.  If you don't allow partial credit on the individual test, students will choose one of the four options and there's a 25% chance that a random guess will give them the same score as if they were 100% sure of the correct answer (i.e., the same result as 1111).  The difference is that with a 1111, you (and they) know that they are guessing as to what the correct answer is.

Larry
-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> Henriikka Clarkeburn <[log in to unmask]> 07/06/10 1:03 AM >>>
Hi,

I am wondering if there are any success stories and technical tips from anyone on the list for using partial credit I-RATs.

We are in Sydney planning on using a 'wager' style I-RAT (on Larry's encouragement!) where for every 4-option question the students can use four lines (questions 1-4 / 5-8 etc.) on the Scantron form. If the correct answer is A and student is certain of that, she would fill in A for all four lines. If on the other hand she thinks it could be A or B she would fill in A for first two and B for the next two or one line for A and three for B etc. This way we are able to give students partial credits in a multiple choice question and get more sophisticated data on where student thinking goes wrong.

Now we have technical challenges:

1)       To be able to share with students the data in a sensible format, we wonder if anyone who uses Datalink has been able to aggregate answers for every set of four questions and present the data as % of As in these four questions, % of Bs in these four questions etc.?
2)       What is done with students who choose one of each option i.e. guessing completely and would end up guaranteed with 25% of the mark for knowing nothing?
3)       How have people weighted the different options - giving more when a student has put all their choices on one option, or just plain 25% for each line?

Looking forward to your feedback and guidance.

Best Wishes,

Henriikka
Henriikka Clarkeburn | Lecturer
Office of Learning and Teaching | Faculty of Economics and Business
THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 386, Merewether Building (H04) | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 3036 6156  | F +61 2 9351 6620
E [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  | W http://sydney.edu.au/business

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.