From:
"McCormick, Don" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McCormick, Don
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:36:37 -0800
I don't know enough about the topic to recognize the correct answers. I like
the structure of the question, though. It seems to call for higher order
thinking.

Perhaps you shouldn't have the goal of convincing all the students that your
answer is the right one. Instead you might consider this an opportunity to
help the class articulate what the issues are, what the criteria are for
deciding on "best symbols or exemplifications of human evolutionary
success," and how the different sides came to their conclusions. The people
who didn't understand the right answer might find the type of reasoning used
by the rest of the class to be more sophisticated than theirs. This might
create some useful cognitive conflict for them. Or it might even persuade
them.

Anyway, that's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Don