From:
Gary Kapelus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Kapelus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:15:54 -0400
Hi Harry
I agree about the use of rubrics for grading assignments. In our health sciences course, we do grade the weekly team assignments, using the same generic grading rubric, which the students see on Day 1. Our rubric  focuses on whether and how the team has utilized the key concepts from their assigned readings and how well they have demonstrated understanding and applied these concepts in the written argument they submit for marking. This is an efficient approach to grading and can be done relatively quickly, even for a large number of teams. We fill out the rubric form on the computer, which allows us to type in other comments as needed and to save a copy of the rubric form for our own records.

We provide each team with a folder, which is used to submit assignments for marking each week and for us to return marked assignments and the rubric form back to the team.

All students who participate in the weekly assignment are asked to sign the assignment before it is handed in. All team members receive the same grade for the assignment. Those who don't show up to class get 0 for that week's assignment.

The final individual grade in our course includes 45% from the cumulative IRAT grades and 55% from the cumulative team assignment grades (so you can't pass the course by getting perfect on the tests but never coming to class). Previously, we provided 5% separately for the peer evaluation. This year, we have reworked the peer evaluation within the team assignment grade component so that it can slightly influence that 55% component, either upward or downward, according to the peer evaluation. Our hope is that this will keep students motivated to show up and to contribute each week.

Gary Kapelus

Gary Kapelus MBA DSP
Professor and Coordinator, Interprofessional Education
Faculty of Community Services and Health Sciences
George Brown College of Applied Arts and Technology
200 King St. E., Room 721
Toronto, ON M5T 2T9
Tel: (416) 415-5000 Ext 3508
Cell: (416) 450-8083