From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:45:55 -0600
Hi David,

I might have something that could help.  However, before I send
anything, I'd like to know more about the extent of your experience with
TBL and what aspects of the process you are using.  Also, I don't think
the problem is likely to have been students' maturity.  Based on my
experience, when something like this happens the problem is in the way I
set things up.  My questions:
1) How long (years/courses) have you been using TBL?
2) Are you using RATs and, if so, are using the IF-AT answer sheets for
the team test? How many RATs are you using?
3) Was this particular team dysfunctional on everything--or just some
of the time? If some of the time, on what kinds of
activities/assignments did they struggle?
4) Are the majority of your application activities designed around the
three "S's" (i.e., Same Problem, Specific Choice, Simultaneous Report)?

Larry

Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
Dockery 400G
Central Missouri State University
Warrensburg, MO 64093
O: 660 543-4124
F: 660 543-8465

>>> "Smith, David W" <[log in to unmask]> - 1/14/05 2:48 PM >>>
Hi all,

This past fall I had one team that did not work well.  They seemed to
have trouble getting organized and keeping on task in class.
Some teams do quite well and I attribute much of it to being older,
more
experienced, and even having some training in team building and
organizing.
I would like to give my students so they can keep on track,
substantively.  Does anyone have a brief, ie, one page, handout for
the
students on how to get organized and keep organized in your team?  I
would appreciate any help, direct or direction to another source, on
this matter.

Regards,

David Smith

David W. Smith, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Associate Professor, Biostatistics
Fellow, Institute for Health Policy
The University of Texas School of Public Health
San Antonio Branch Campus
voice: (210) 562-5512
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
  or [log in to unmask]