From:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:53:23 -0500
I'll start by saying that I teach economics.

Regarding grading of group activities:  Particularly early in a given
section of the course, I have the team simultaneously report on conceptual
and application type questions, all ungraded.  I think the in-group
discussions are very good and most students try hard to understand and get
the right answer.

In the latter part of each section, I have graded assignments that require
short answers and explanations, often situations where there is not
necessarily a "right" answer or one "right" answer, so I stress that their
justification for their choice is most important.  This is where they pull
together the material from the section, and often must make connections
between the current material and material from earlier in the semester.

In some cases, I have groups evaluate and grade the work of other groups
(and justify their grading) and I tell them that I will grade them on how
they grade.  This can be tricky, but I think the students really learn a
lot from the experience.

Molly Espey
Applied Economics and Statistics
Clemson University