From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 2010 09:44:31 -0500
All,

One common source of "inflation" that hasn't been addressed is the peer evaluation scores.  If you use a system that allows students to give everyone a 100%, your overall average for that component will typically be close to 99% and it doesn't take much "weight" on the peer evaluation component for an average of 99% to make a difference.

As far as the weights are concerned, the principle is that each component (individual, team and peer) has to be high enough so that students take it seriously.  In my experience, that will vary with the student population.  With my students, I've never had a class that didn't have the highest weight on team scores.

For those who would like to know how I deal with potential of grade inflation, my approach, which may not work if you have to deal with mandated rules of some kind, is described in the Frequently Asked Questions on the TBL web site.

Larry

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax