From:
Lane Brunner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lane Brunner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2014 13:47:39 +0000
Andrew,

In order to be true to the philosophy of team answers (whether in TBL,
PBL, or other), the answer provided by the teams needs to be one of
consensus. If one member breaks from the team, then there is no longer a
team, but a group of students who are are not working together in earnest.
Part of the student development of TBL is for individuals to negotiate
answers through discussion and to provide a single, best answer from the
team. Students develop interpersonal communication skills through
practicing listening, articulation, negotiation, and compromise. These, by
the way, are the exact skills employers are looking for graduates.

Early in a TBL curriculum (or class), students will try to break from the
team so that ³their² answer can be considered in lieu of the team answer
(because they are ³right² and the team was ³wrong²). A benefit of TBL is
that students develop skills as part of a team. When students go outside
the team for individual gain, it negates that benefit and will foster a
group of individuals rather than a cohesive team.

A simple announcement in class usually mitigates individuals seeking
points for ³their² correct team answer. For the persistent student, a
direct conversation stating you will not entertain an individual request
for an appeal on a team RAT or application should suffice. I have never
had to go beyond such a conversation with a student.

Lane

Lane J. Brunner, Ph.D., R.Ph.
Dean and Sam A. Lindsey Professor
Ben and Maytee Fisch College of Pharmacy
The University of Texas at Tyler
3900 University Blvd, ADM 358
Tyler, TX  75799
Tel: 903.566.7168