From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:34:30 -0400
Karla said:

>    I thought you might be interested in this Faculty Focus article on content
>    coverage.  It fits what we do in TBL.  Karla
>
>    http://tinyurl.com/6pmo86j

Indeed -- very useful.

A recent paper in my discipline (economics) came to a similar finding:
"The Cost of Economic Literacy: How Well Does a Literacy-targeted
Principles of Economics Course Prepare Students for Intermediate Theory
Courses?" http://www.unc.edu/~salemi/Papers/Gilleskie_Salemi_10_7_11.pdf .

I understand that these results pretty much jive with the findings of
cognitive scientists -- that our students would be better off if we
focused on a few key concepts instead of rushing through many.

   - Bill

--
Bill Goffe
Department of Economics