From:
"Sweet, Michael S" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sweet, Michael S
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2010 09:53:52 -0500
Henriikka,

Oy.  You have got quite a challenging instructional ecology there.

I am a firm believer in adapting TBL to fit the context, so I am going to recommend something I usually don't:  straight-up, inter-team competition.

If you set up some form of competition among teams, teams will be motivated to huddle covetously over their IF-ATs and be sure other teams don't see them.

You'd have to play with the idea to find a model that fits you--some kind of curve on the tRATs, I am thinking.  (Be sure NOT to make the individual tests competitive, though!)

The only reason I feel OK recommending competition among teams here is this:

1)  You have tried lots of other things
2)  It's a Business class, so competition is a familiar (and possibly enjoyable) context for your students in ways it might not be for others.

If you give up on the IF-ATs, consider trying clickers before giving up on TBL entirely.

Anyone else got ideas for Henriikka?

-M