From:
Jessica Ketchum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jessica Ketchum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:09:12 -0400
So I use TBL in 2 sections of a biostatistics class each having about 60
students (4 TAs).  Each class has 10 teams of 6.  I am interested in
implementing the student evaluations into the grading scheme however I am
nervous about this.  One comment I got from a student using TBL in another
class said the teams just decide to give each other high grades.  And if the
teach says you cannot give everyone 10 points (if 10 is the max) - They work
it so that each person in the team gets the same grade - (I think the
teacher averages).  So perhaps some would rate you 10 and other as 8 then
the average is 9 - so everyone gets a 9 in the team.

In my opinion this totally defeats the purpose.  I am interested in others
experience with implementing the students evaluations of their peers.

In a follow up to the last trail of emails, the students all know their
individual scores.  I project on the screen the group score and the average
of the individual scores within each group.  I don't want individual people
to be picked on, but they still need to be about to compare themselves to
each other and the average person in their team.

Jessica McKinney Ketchum, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics

Virginia Commonwealth  University

730 East Broad Street, Theater Row, 3006

P.O. Box 980032

Richmond, VA 23298-0032

Phone: 804-827-2057, Fax: 804-828-8900

email: [log in to unmask]