From:
Maureen Lloy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maureen Lloy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:37:02 -0700
Our Pharmacy College is embracing TBL throughout our entire Curriculum.
We have found it to be useful, fantastic, challenging and fun! However, we
could use your assistance with regard to IRATs versus TRATs.

THE QUESTION(s):
1. Should IRATs and TRATs be given equal weight with regards to the grading
schematic? (For example, if your IRATs are worth 10%, should TRATs be worth
10%, as well). Why or why not?

2. The alternative question you can ask yourself, "Is it okay to make TRATs
worth only 5% when the IRATs are worth 10%). Why or why not?

THE BACKGROUND:
Last year, for all classes, we utilized a Grading Schematic of 50:50 and 60:40
for Individual and Team contributions to the grade, respectively. The IRAT and
TRAT scores were weighted evenly. (If IRATs were worth 20 points, TRATs
were worth 20 points).

As we were reviewing and assessing the curriculum and the courses of our
pharmacy program, we realized that there was a need for MORE individual
accountability in such a professional program. In order to attain this, we as a
faculty, decided to change our Grading Schematic to 70:30 with 70%
individual accountability towards the grade and 30% team contribution. With
this lower availability of the Team contribution, some faculty are considering
lowering the TRAT percentage to 5-10 percent, yet leaving IRAT percentage
at 10-20 percent.

We would like to be consistent with the TBL concepts as much as possible and
appreciate any and all input.

Maureen Lloy, Pharm.D.
Associate Professor of Clinical Sciences

California Northstate College of Pharmacy
10811 International Drive
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Office: (916) 631-8108 ext. 219