From:
Jenny Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jenny Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2013 08:18:00 +0000
Hello All

I am in the same position with around 5 students retaking the course (in fact repeating the whole year).

As a teaching team we discussed this and actually thought the TBL process would enhance the learning of these weaker students rather than advantage the other members of the team.  Given their performance in the previous year we thought it was unlikely that they would confer any advantage.  In part we based this on the resit exam which around 20 students took.  The resit exam was 30 questions all of which were taken from the iRATs and yet all the students scored in the range 45-58%.  If they had remembered the correct answers from the previous tRATs we would have expected them to score higher.

I will be interested to see what others think.  I will also now monitor the performance of this year's teams and see if those with repeating students performed any better!

Best wishes

Jenny

Dr Jenny Morris
Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer) Health Studies
Faculty of Health & Human Sciences
Plymouth University
Knowledge Spa
Truro