Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 16:23:40 -0400
I don't actually say a lot about TBL to the students initially, except to
make it clear to them that I will be the one making the teams, that
students will be in the same team for the whole semester, and that ALL
team work will be in class.

Then I run through the RAT process with the syllabus a la Michelsen
(individuals read the syllabus, take an iRAT on it, then take the tRAT).
That, and clarifying and emphasizing important points pretty much takes
the first class period.  I usually teach MWF 50 minutes at a time.  The
second class, Friday, I have a variety of team based activities, a few
very basic multiple choice on the board generating team discussion, and
one more detailed getting at some aspect of the course that students can
do a good bit of without course content.  For example, I teach natural
resource economics, so I might have the students discuss as many of the
effects across the economy of rising oil prices as they can think of and
illustrate it some way on a piece of paper.  This is fun for them, lets
them see that they already know a bit of economics, and that working with
others in class doesn't have to be a drag or all the work falling on one
or two top students.

So, explaining by demonstrating.

Molly Espey