From:
"Sweet, Michael S" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sweet, Michael S
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 09:10:00 -0600
I did my dissertation research with "Big Five Inventory."  It's a 25 item survey measuring Extraversion, Openness to Experience, Conscientiousness, Agreeability, and Neuroticism.

For what it's worth, my strongest finding was that introverts had significantly more accurate performance reputations than extraverts on *every* single test.

(They didn't necessarily perform better, but their team-mates more accurately dialed in to their ability level--whatever it was.)

I thought extraverts would have more accurate reputations because they would be motivated to verbalize about their preparation, performance, thought processes, etc. and thereby give team-mates more information with which to gauge their level of expertise.

The opposite turned out to be true--introverts were the ones people more accurately "got a bead on."

Perhaps a signal-to-noise ratio effect.  :-)

-Michael