From:
"Sweet, Michael S" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sweet, Michael S
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2010 13:50:52 -0500
Yep, Larry's right about all of this.  :-)

The only thing I would add is that if you are going to introduce 4-S application activities to an otherwise lecture-intensive class, be sure to start doing them EARLY (like within the first week or two).

Classroom norms "set up" like concrete, and I have worked with several teachers who tried introducing active learning elements late in the semester in an otherwise lecture-heavy class, and students didn't buy in.  They didn't believe that they were actually being asked to be active, and they resisted.  Participation has half-hearted and watery and uncomfortable.

Larry's right in pointing to the discussion about ConcepTests we had on this list last week--those are really what "Application Activities in a Lecture Class" look like.

-M