From:
"Sweet, Michael S" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sweet, Michael S
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2011 22:02:18 +0000
I have greatly enjoyed this dialogue--it is well-informed, thoughtful, and exploratory.  As a social scientist, let me just chime in and lend my support to Larry's concern about treatment fidelity.

As we all learned in graduate school, the conclusions one draws from research are only as valuable as they are:
	1. reliable--i.e., reproducible, and
	2. valid--that the measurements we took do indeed measure what we think we're measuring.

You will often hear me say that all teachers SHOULD teach differently because every teacher is a unique individual and will be better able to bring out the best in their students in some ways more than others.   I am not a "fundamentalist" when it comes to rubber-meets-the-road, moment-to-moment experiences in the classroom.

I am, however, a bit more uptight about the names one gives to what one does in reporting one's experience.  Teaching is a mystifyingly complex activity, so the labels we put on how we do it matter a great deal.

If what you decide to research is not Team-Based Learning as it is understood to be best-practiced by the members of the community that has collected around it, then please just take care to make it explicitly clear where you deviate from our understanding of the practice and why you chose to do so.

:-)

-M

Michael Sweet, Ph.D.
Director of Instructional Development, Center for Teaching and Learning
MAI 2206  |  Mail Stop G2100  |  (512) 232-1775  |  http://ctl.utexas.edu