From:
"Keith, Bobby" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith, Bobby
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:08:07 -0400
Hi to all:

I found the same issue when I was not using "home made" IF-AT sheets not
to grade students but just to teach them. I had made my own IF-AT score
sheets. You do this by using a specific yellow highlighter by "Crayola"
that has an "eraser" chemical on one end of the pen and yellow marking
ink on the other. You print out the sheets and manually use the
invisible "eraser" chemical to highlight the correct answer. The
students then use the yellow marker to mark the correct answer-if they
choose correctly the yellow marker is neutralized and does not show up
in the box, otherwise the yellow stands out as an incorrect selection.

Anyway, I was using this in a class for my physician assistant students
and the "tests" were not being used in any manner that affected
students' grades, only to prepare them for national medical board
certification. None-the-less one student who happened to have the same
type of highlighter (this was the first time I used this method-and they
had no advance notice) was busy "erasing" erroneous choices. When I
asked what the point was, since the exercise was for their educational
benefit, the students were not the least bit embarrassed and seemed
amazed that I would ask. It reminded me of when my son was younger and
he would buy a magazine with pass codes to video games which allowed him
to "win" the game by entering a pass code and then quickly completing
the last phase of the game. I guess I am just old school.

I have been following this list serve for the past few months and have
experimented with several of the concepts of TBL. My biggest issue is I
teach students in the clinical phase (one year) of their training and
only see them for 8 hours every four weeks. It is difficult to maintain
the "flow" of the content with such long breaks. In addition the
students have a lot of content to follow up on which is generated by
clinical encounters with patients so it is hard to 1-plan things which
are related to students in various clinical clerkships (one might be in
Pediatrics and others in surgery) and 2-develop/maintain group
cohesion/trust to the point where they do more than give each other the
requisite equal number of points on the peer evaluations (at times when
I do use graded exercises). I am thinking of developing a long term
project which would involve application of physiological principles or a
project which is related to understanding health policy issues-then they
complain that it is not "medicine" (we are a master's level program).

Any suggestions on handling the four week time lag between classes would
be appreciated.

Bobby

Bobby Keith, PA-C
Clinical Director
Mercy College Graduate Program
in Physician Assistant Studies
1200 Waters Place
Bronx, New York 10461-2704
Phone: 914-674-7636
Fax: 718-678-8605
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]  (My preferred method of contact).