From:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:57:52 -0400
My teams keep track of attendance using Larry's method.  I keep a mental note, as my classes are small enough (25-60) that I know who's who after a couple of weeks.  In terms of impact on the grade, I also figure that teams punish chronic absenteeism in peer evaluations and students who are absent usually don't do as well on individual assignments, so two forms of punishment.

I harass my students to return evaluations to me until I get them.  I posted the evaluation form on Blackboard this year and told them to email it to me.  Then I just made a folder in my mail for them.  I feel like I got better feedback as students seem more inclined to type comments than to hand write comments.  I typically have quite a few students who will only rate but not give comments, even though I express the value of the comments, but there were fewer this year with the electronic evaluations.

Molly Espey