From:
Thomas DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2012 14:53:15 -1000
Ron,

My response has always been that I want to reward students for good
study habits. If students aren't committed to reading and
understanding the topics, then they won't be prepared for the rest of
the course activities. If the % is too low, they won't take it
seriously or will think that they can slack off occasionally.  In
general I've found that the students who complain the most are the
ones who are least prepared for the RATS.

 I finally settled on 25% for iRATS and 10% for tRATS, which has
worked well for me. I've also analyzed the predictors of overall
course success (overall course grade) and found that performance on
iRATS explained the greatest variance in the overall course grade. I
gladly share this information with students as well.

Cheers, Tom

--
Tom DeWitt, Ph.D.
University Applied Learning Coordinator