From:
"Zoghby, Kathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Zoghby, Kathy
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:56:49 -0500
Everyone,

I thank you all so much for your thoughtful comments and insights.  I am nervous though that all your seasoned veterans out there have never had a situation like this.  Makes me think I should have been able to prevent this meltdown.

This student has had a chip on her shoulder since the beginning of the semester. She complained that her team was not prepared, she claimed she was the only one of the 5 that did any work, etc, etc.  (not at all the case from my observations) Unfortunately for her, I was aware from the start that her other team members tried and tried to talk to her, but she would not listen to them.  She is chronically late to class, and has an attendance issue. (which I have spoken to her about many times)  When she does show up, she expected everyone to suddenly pay attention to her and listen to her.  The team members quickly did lose respect for her, which led to her attitude that she was the only one working, etc.  We would have conversations after each of her perceived insults, the next few classes would be better, but she would revert back to sullen very quickly.  The other students on the team are good kids, actually very kind, and tried very hard to work with her.  They did not enjoy the stress she was causing.  This situation was very one-sided.  She did intimate to me that she has "issues" that prevent her from getting out of bed, and functioning some days.  After today's class, I did notify the Dean of students, and her advisor to document what happened.  I honestly do not think I will have trouble from the administration, but I do not know that for sure.

So, if she comes back, I cannot in good conscience subject her team to work with her again.  She truly had problems, and those 4 students should be able to have a good experience.  I do not blame them, and they were so relieved when they thought they were finally free of her.

I just cannot picture this girl in the class, at her own table, working totally on her own.  What a horrible message to the rest of the class.  I have 3 other wonderful teams of 5 students, and the dynamic in the classroom would be so awkward.  I just am not experienced enough to know what the answer is.  I truly hope she will not come back, and that solves the issue, but I also never want this to happen again!

610 377 7334