From:
"Hamilton, Susan L." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hamilton, Susan L.
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2014 20:07:18 +0000
We are using TBL for the first time in a community health nursing course.  We have allowed students who arrive late to take the iRAT in the remaining time (if any) and then to take the tRAT with their team.  If they arrive too late to take the iRAT, they get a 0% for the iRAT portion and participate in the tRAT.

For students who miss class (we have had 1-2 for each RAT) if excused (either in advance or with evidence of good reason after class) we allow them to take a make-up iRAT (slightly different questions and randomized answers) and the score on the iRAT is used as their score for the tRAT since they were not present to participate with their team.  The scores on the make-up 10 question iRATs have averaged 70% which is slightly lower the the class average on the iRAt/tRAT combined.

Susan Hamilton, PhD, RN
Assistant Professor
MGH Institute of Health Professions
Boston, MA