From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2010 05:53:20 -0500
Diane,

I've always had my teams keep track of their own attendance on their team folders.  They record absences in two categories: Known (they have been informed that the member was going to be absent) and unknown (I'm very clear that simply not showing up will likely create animosity with their team and would get them fired from a job.)

Larry

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> Dianne York <[log in to unmask]> 10/22/10 5:46 AM >>>
Tamara,

I like your idea of rotating where the teams sit, and I may try to incorporate
that strategy next semester. I can see the advantages.

I have 180 to 200 students per semester in 4 sections, and I teach in a room
with stadium seating. I make a seating chart and use it for attendance, as well
as to help with learning students' names - always a challenge for me.

I don't think rotating every 3 weeks would work for me, but I might try
changing things at midterm or maybe every 5 weeks (2x per semester).

My concerns are the confusion it might cause when I take attendance, or call
on a Team for an answer - I'm sure there will be several occasions when I'm
looking in the wrong place! Plus I have students who specifically request to sit
at the front.

Dianne York, M.S., MT(ASCP)
Lecturer, Biology
Lincoln University, PA