Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 19:38:02 -0500
Hi!  thought I'd chime in on this - I'm still on the front end of the
learning curve vis-a-vis TBL, but have used the 4MAT system of teaching
and learning (Dr. Bernice McCarthy) and had a similar response from
students.  I've concluded that there are a number of things at work here.
1) as has been pointed out, students are used to the lecture methods of
teaching and tend to resist anything different.  2) According to McCarthy,
about 1/3 of the typical classroom is made up of Type 2 learners who
prefer the lecture method; the remaining 2/3 are Types 1, 3 & 4 learners.
I believe that students willing to learn from various styles and methods
of teaching can become "better" learners, will gain more from their
classroom experiences with a wholistic approach.  This will also, then,
make them better at their chosen field, because they've learned how to
learn and have a more broad-based perspective on things.

Change is not easy for most people, because it takes them out of their
comfort zone - not necessarily a 'bad' thing.

Chuck Killingsworth