From:
"Levine, Ruth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Levine, Ruth
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:00:40 -0500
I too think it is reasonable to consider differential fees for faculty from international schools who may lack the support typical in first world countries, and that is something we on the board will definitely discuss.

Regarding Bill's suggestion to gather revenue from our annual conference-- 2010 was our first "stand alone" conference meaning that we were not financially backed by any institution. We ( the members of the TBLC board) were quite anxious that we would "break even" since with the recession it was possible we could have lost money on the conference. We kept our registration fees as low as possible so that people who did not have financial backing would not be discouraged from attending because of the up front costs. We had 125 attendees and barely broke even on the event. This year we did a little better but we were still very anxious because if you don't make your room block numbers it is possible to lose thousands of dollars on a conference. We obsessed over every cent we spent on the conference to try and keep our fees for the attendees low and reduce our expenses. If you don't have an institution backing you up and you don't have much money in the bank that can be pretty scary.

Overall, while a conference might be a way of generating revenue, it can't be guaranteed. Furthermore, the risk of losing money from a conference is such the the organization really needs a "non-conference" reliable source of revenue.

Ruth Levine
University of TX Medical Branch, Galveston
President, TBLC