From:
"Sibley, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sibley, Jim
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 07:39:07 -0700
Hi Christine,

We do peer evaluations twice a semester

Once formative about 1 month in and once summative at the end of 3
months.

Comments from students are released....students are coached in "Making
Feedback Helpful" (using Michaelsen article)

Interesting one of my star instructors is measuring whether students
find the simple (divide the money) evaluation and rubric based
evaluation more fair....early indications are that the students think
the rubric is more fair.

We use an online application to do our evaluations.
http://ipeer.apsc.ubc.ca/home/

---------------------------------

Also, this same instructor has begun to allow teams to develop their own
criteria (al la Derek Lane)

For more on this approach, check out Derek's talk at
http://tbl.apsc.ubc.ca/conferences/2007/

------------------------------------

I use the 2 simple's per term.....and tell students that average
evaluations will get them 75%....therefore If they give everyone 10 out
of 10 then they are average.

Another instructor here uses the group product multiplier (i.e. if I get
11 out of 10 from my peers then I will get the group grade plus 10%)

All this is well explained at
http://faculty.ucmo.edu/teambasedlearning/docs/TBL%20-%202%20methods_pee
r%20eval%20scores.pdf

The new TBL book has a whole chapter on various peer evaluation
approaches

http://styluspub.com/books/bookdetail.aspx?productid=162587

Also, Ruth Levine et al....their article is a good read about peer
evaluation

http://ap.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/31/1/19.pdf

Hope that is helpful

Jim