From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:08:45 -0400
Francis asked:

> Thank you for the pointer to your Bain_study.pdf. I have not yet read
> it, but I will, and it looks really interesting. Is this work in press?
> being prepared for publication? Internal only?

It will have to be revised before being submitted, so it is kind of none
of the above. But, the part on Bain is pretty stable.

> Regarding intrinsic vs extrinsic motivation, in my geophysics course for
> engineers (40-50 students) my experience is that the two types of
> motivation are coupled. By providing some extrinsic motivation for doing
> the work and participating (both individual and team), the intrinsic
> interest in the subject seems to increase. Also, positive feedback
> probably plays a role: extrinsic motivation => better working habits &
> accountability => increased intrinsic motivation => more enthusiastic
> instructor behaviour => increased energy in the class => increased
> intrinsic motivation ... and so on.

A very good point -- I hadn't heard of this.

> This is anecdotal - compared to earlier "lecture only" days, I simply
> find a more enthusiastic "buzz" in the room since incorporating some
> aspects of TBL (we spend roughly 50% class time on lecturing, 50% on TBL
> components - iRats, gRats, team exercises - and there is a lab).

I certainly see this too. Today we did a new set of RATs and it was great
to hear students talking about the material.

> Of course it also helps to provide learning materials and contexts that
> are coupled with the student's interests. This is perhaps easier in a
> class of like-minded students (3rd / 4th year geological engineers and
> geologists) than it would be in a course taken by students with a
> broader range of interests.

This seems to be Bain's point -- that some teachers can hook a student
into most anything. One of his prime examples is a junior college
instructor who does it with calculus. It is hard to think of a greater
challenge.

         - Bill

         | Bill Goffe                 [log in to unmask]          |
         | Department of Economics    voice: (315) 312-3444     |
         | SUNY Oswego                fax:   (315) 312-5444     |
         | 416 Mahar Hall             http://cook.rfe.org       |
         | Oswego, NY  13126                                    |
| "He's better about shaving his legs than I am. The pressure's on me to    |
| keep my legs smooth."                                                     |
|  -- Sheryl Crow, on her boyfriend Lance Armstrong. "Crow's Armstrong      |
|     Song: 'Make 'Em Suffer,'" July 15, 2005, CNN.com                      |