From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:36:33 -0500
Nicole asked:

> How are you defining outcomes? Test scores? Critical thinking? Meeting
> course objectives? Improved skill?

Well, the first link answers how learning was assessed: "Most of the test
questions were clicker questions previously used at another university,
often slightly modified." Thus, it would be test scores.

> I would also be interested if there is any evidence to support this
> statement.

I might not be following this sentence, but the evidence was in a peer
reviewed article in the journal Science.

> There is certainly support for active learning, but lectures
> can also be active and engaging.

They can be, but you'll search far and wide in the peer reviewed
literature for a publication that finds that students actually learn as
much from lecture than from active learning. Several posts here earlier
today mentioned some of the classic publications that finds that active
learning leads to more learning.

One reason is quite straightforward -- the typical lecture will quickly
swamp students' working memory. This is a key point of the second paper
mentioned below. That paper was particularly impressive to me as it used
findings from cognitive science (actually, so did the first paper). I'm a
firm believer that we should use findings from cognitive science in our
teaching.

> And I think any method, done badly, will result in poor outcomes.

Most certainly. But the literature very strongly supports the proposition
that students learn more from well-designed active learning activities
than they do from a well-designed lecture. This is entirely consistent
with what is known about how people learn.

      - Bill

Bill Goffe
Senior Lecturer
Department of Economics