MCE-ANNOUNCE Archives

July 2017

MCE-ANNOUNCE@LISTS.UBC.CA

From:
"D. V. Wiebe" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D. V. Wiebe
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2017 14:24:50 -0700
Hi all,

In case you haven't heard, Broadcom (formerly Avago) has discontinued
the fibre transmitter/receiver (HFBR-1119TZ/HFBR-2119TZ) that we have
been using for MCE communications.

While we're looking into what this means for the MCE clock card and
sync box, this also affects production of the PCI fibre card (ARC-64)
which we use.

Bob Leach of Astronomical Research Cameras/SDSU, has offered to
do one more run of the ARC-64 cards for us, while fibre components
last, and has asked us how many we anticipate needing.

So: if you're interested in purchasing more ARC-64 PCI fibre cards for
existing systems (including systems with an exisitng HFBR-based fibre
clock card which we have here at UBC, and that we've promised but not
yet delivered), please let Mandana ([log in to unmask]) know how
many fibre cards you think you'll want to purchase, and she'll add
it to the total forcast we're submitting to Bob Leach.

And just to be clear, to actually puchase these cards (once they're
made), do what has been done in the past: ask Bob Leach at ARC directly,
mentioning that it's for the UBC Multi-Channel Electronics.  Bob will
sell you cards from the stock he has set aside for MCE use.

If you're interested, please reply as quickly as you can: Bob is going
to start the run soon to capitalise on the dwindling supply of parts.

Cheers,
-don
--
Don Wiebe                                   [log in to unmask]
Department of Physics and Astronomy