From:
"Ruder, Phil" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ruder, Phil
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 2020 15:05:34 +0000
Hi all,

I use Jamboard for team collaboration and have added a couple of wrinkles that have not yet been mentioned.

1. I have each team maintain a semester-long jamboard to facilitate team collaboration. I have students comment with colored sticky notes and can view the jamboards to see evidence of their collaboration.

2. For gallery walks, I create a separate jamboard for the activity, editable by anyone with the link. I have reporters take a screenshot of their team's "jam" for that AE and paste it there. Then, all teams can view the jams of other teams. (You have to teach students how to take a screenshot -- their idea seems to be to snap a photo of the screen.)

3. I have 19 teams in a fully online class of 75 students. So I assign each team 6 jams to review and vote on.

4. As do others, I make extensive use of google forms to collect reports and rationales. This works well. The pie chart feature shows the distribution of choices across the options in a convenient way. The ease of dumping responses into a google sheet makes examining rationales quite easy. Reporters can elaborate during the debriefing.

5. Despite the ease of doing it through google forms, I find it even better to use a "ready-set-go" activity to get the debriefing conversation going. Each reporter types the following into a Zoom chat comment without yet posting the comment to the class chat. Team #, Choice (ABCD), One-sentence rationale. Then, on "GO", all reporters post their comments simultaneously. That makes my task of identifying different choices and unique rationale really easy and students can see each post more easily than they can in a shared google sheet. Pro tip: before each report, type some sort of break -- e.g. ----------------------------------------------- -- so it is easy to see where the reports start.

Cheers,

Phil

--

Phil Ruder

Pacific University inspires students to think, care, create, and pursue justice in our world.